Ragging is a practice similar to hazing in educational institutions. The word is mainly used in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.Ragging involves existing students baiting or bullying new students.
"Ragging means a noisy disorderly conduct, annual parade of students in fancy dress to collect money for charity, playing rough jokes, or throwing into wild disorder a person’s room etc."
The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India perhaps has given a more comprehensive meaning of ragging as under:
"Ragging is any disorderly conduct, whether by words spoken or written, or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any student, indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities which cause or are likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the psyche of a fresher or a junior student."
Consequences of Ragging: Shocking, But True :
It is said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This truly stands apt in the case of ragging. What begins from a friendly introduction in the name of ragging takes no time to assume disgusting and perverted overtones. Let us examine some shocking consequences of ragging:
How Ragging Affects The Victim:
1. An unpleasant incident of ragging may leave a permanent scar in the victim’s mind that may haunt him for years to come.
2. The victim declines into a shell, forcing himself into ignominy and alienation from the rest of the world.
3. It demoralizes the victim who joins college life with many hopes and expectations.
4. Though incidents of physical assault and grievous injuries are not new, ragging also simultaneously causes grave psychological stress and trauma to the victim.
5. Those students who choose to protest against ragging are very likely to face ostracism from their seniors in the future.
6. Those who succumb to ragging may drop out thereby hampering their career prospects
7. In extreme cases, incidents of suicides and culpable homicide have also been reported.
How Ragging Affects The Educational Institution:
1. Severe media barrage in extreme cases of ragging lowers the character of the educational institution and destroys the respect and faith it commands from society.
2. Those who indulge in ragging bring a bad name to their college thereby hampering its reputation and goodwill in society.